Bruce I. Goldstein
Bruce Goldstein, a partner, is recognized by his peers as one of New Jersey’s preeminent trial lawyers. He is a sophisticated and dynamic litigator with expansive experience in complex business disputes. His cases include those involving fraud, shareholder disputes, employment, breach of contract, business torts, insurance, franchise disputes and professional malpractice.
Bruce also draws on his experience as a litigator in serving as a mediator of complex business disputes. He believes that a strategic mediator can dramatically reduce the cost of litigation by helping the parties identify, prioritize and expedite the discovery necessary to permit them to engage in a successful mediation at the earliest possible time.
In addition, Bruce teaches a course in the Mediation of Commercial Disputes at Rutgers University School of Law-Newark. He is a member of the Justice Marie L. Garibaldi American Inn of Court for Alternative Dispute Resolution, is on the roster of mediators maintained by the New Jersey Superior Court and the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, and is a member of the Morris County Chancery Mediation Panel.
He also is a highly skilled, white-collar, criminal defense lawyer, representing corporations and individuals in state and federal grand jury investigations. Bruce served as Executive Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey and received the Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award for his success in the prosecution of political corruption.
Bruce has been recognized by numerous professional, peer evaluation and leading lawyer-rating publications and organizations for his accomplishments and dedication to the legal profession. He was honored by the New Jersey Law Journal as the first recipient of its Lifetime Achievement Award in Litigation, and is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and the American Bar Foundation.
Bruce is regularly included in The Best Lawyers in America®, a guide to legal excellence based on peer reviews. In addition, he is included annually on the New Jersey Super Lawyers© and Metropolitan New York Super Lawyers© lists, based on a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Peers give him an AV Preeminent™ rating of 5 out of 5 for professional excellence, as published in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, an authoritative resource about the legal profession. As a result, he was selected for inclusion in the New York Area’s Top Rated Lawyers, put out by Martindale-Hubbell and ALM Media, LLC.
Throughout his career, Bruce has been actively involved in continuing legal education and is frequently called upon to serve as a lecturer in trial advocacy.
He also has participated in many civic and religious organizations. He is chairman of the governing board of the NJ Sharing Network, the organization responsible for the recovery and distribution of organs and tissue for nearly 5,000 New Jersey residents awaiting transplantation.
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1967
- Rutgers College, A.B., History, 1964 (Henry Rutgers Scholar), Phi Beta Kappa
- New York, 1980
- New Jersey, 1967
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1967
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1975
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2014
Honors and Awards
- Justice William J. Brennan Jr. Award, University of Virginia Law School Trial Advocacy Institute
- Judge Learned Hand Award for humanitarianism, American Jewish Committee
- Justice William J. Brennan Jr. Award, Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey Award for Excellence in Litigation
- New Jersey State Bar Association Professionalism Award
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Appellate Practice; Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation, 2001-2023
- The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer Of The Year” In The Newark Area for Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2014 and 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer Of The Year” In The Newark Area for Appellate Practice, 2012
- Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey, former president
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association
- Lawyers Advisory Committee of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Lawyers Advisory Committee of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, former member
- Former member of the following New Jersey Supreme Court committees: Committee on Bench-Bar-Media; Complex Commercial Subtrack Advisory Committee (former chair); Fee Arbitration Committee for Essex County (former chair); Trial Attorney Certification Board; Special Committee on Telephonic and Electronic Search Warrants; and Committee on the Rules of Criminal Procedure
- Brennan-Vanderbilt American Inn of Court, former master John C. Lifland American Inn of Court (Intellectual Property), former master
- Justice Marie L. Garibaldi American Inn of Court for Alternative Dispute Resolution
* The Best Lawyers in America® list is published by Best Lawyers®; its selection methodology is here. The Super Lawyers list is published by Thomson Reuters; its selection methodology is here. The AV Preeminent ratings are published by Martindale-Hubbell; its selection methodology is here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.