Andrew E. Anselmi
Partner and Co-Founder
Areas of Practice:
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Partnership Disputes
- Environmental Compliance and Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Class Actions
- Appellate Advocacy
- Products Liability
Andrew E. Anselmi
Andrew Anselmi, a partner and co-founder of the firm, is a trial lawyer with a focus on high-stakes, complex commercial litigation. Andrew is known for his ability to develop winning strategies working collaboratively with his clients to determine the most effective advocacy tactics, which may include alternative dispute resolution when litigation may not be the best solution. He also handles appellate matters in both state and federal courts.
Andrew’s litigation practice includes extensive experience in shareholder and partnership disputes, and he has successfully represented corporations and individuals in partnership disputes, oppressed minority shareholder claims, and matters involving restrictive covenants.
In the area of environmental litigation, Andrew helps clients navigate the complexities of environmental laws and regulations, providing trial and compliance counsel to Fortune 500, national, regional, and local companies.
In addition, Andrew represents national and international companies in construction, tort, product liability and class actions, often being called upon to argue the law of other jurisdications.
Andrew works tirelessly on behalf of his clients and his community to provide exceptional counsel and service. He immerses himself in each matter and becomes an important ally to his clients and a passionate advocate for protecting their businesses.
Outside of his legal practice, Andrew extends his advocacy and leadership to a wide range of civic affairs, including his current positions as the Chair of the Board of Regents at Delbarton School and Vice Chair of the National Catholic Community Foundation. In 2017, Pope Francis bestowed upon him the title of Knight of the Pontifical Equestrian Order of St. Gregory the Great.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1990
- Williams College, B.A., Political Science, 1987, cum laude with highest honors
- London School of Economics and Political Science, 1986
- New York, 2014
- District of Columbia, 1993
- New Jersey, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2017
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1991
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1990
- Served as co-counsel for plaintiffs in $1B+ quantum meruit claim that settled after more than three weeks of trial in New Jersey state court.
- Represented Chinese supplier of juice concentrate in claims brought against it in U.S. District Court of California. Affirmative claims against the client were dismissed and counterclaim settled on the eve of trial. In a separate case in New York against the supplier, argued Chinese law to have the action dismissed in favor of arbitration in China.
- Successfully represented importer in two separate evidentiary hearings in international arbitration concerning foreign supplier’s attempt to terminate.
- Defeated injunction application brought in U.S. District Court in New York against major oil company under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
- Served as New Jersey counsel in 50-state antitrust litigation against group of computer component manufacturers.
- Defeated injunction application in Delaware Court of Chancery against pharmaceutical interests under theories of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and misappropriation.
- Served as co-counsel in class action resulting in dismissal of claims against generic drug manufacturer.
- Prevailed in representation of water commission in several actions instituted against it to void inter-local services agreements.
- Successfully argued in U.S. District Court of New Jersey that defamation claims brought against California lawyer for pre-litigation statements were protected by litigation privilege.
- Hired for appeal purposes, had criminal defendant’s prison sentence vacated in Third U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Honors and Awards
- Knight of the Pontifical Equestrian Order of St. Gregory the Great, 2017
- Inductee, Delbarton School Hall of Honor, Outstanding Alumnus, 2018
- Recipient of the Advocati Christi Award at the first Red Mass of the Diocese of Paterson, 2016
- Vivere Christus Medal, given by Bishop Arthur J. Serratelli of the Diocese of Paterson, 2010
- National Head Start Association Humanitarian of the Year Award, 1999
- Martindale Hubbell, Rated AV© Preeminent
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation and Litigation- Environmental, 2021-2023
- The National Trial Lawyers, Top 100
- Thompson Reuters, Super Lawyers®, New Jersey, 2007- 2022
- Fellow of the American Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America
- National Italian American Bar Association
- Seton Hall University School of Law, adjunct professor, Appellate Advocacy, 1995-2008
- Morris County Chancery Mediation Panel
- Chair, Board of Regents, Delbarton School
- Former Chair, Board of Trustees, Assumption College for Sisters
- Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees, National Catholic Community Foundation
- Former president, Board of Trustees, Programs for Parents
- Former chair, Board of Trustees, Saint Paul Inside the Walls
Andrew Anselmi Named Chairman of Delbarton School Board of Regents
Anselmi & Carvelli is pleased to announce that partner and co-founder of the firm Andrew […]
5 Anselmi and Carvelli Lawyers Included in 2023 Best Lawyers® Lists
Anselmi and Carvelli is pleased to announce that five of our attorneys have been included […]
Five Anselmi & Carvelli Attorneys Included in 2022 New Jersey Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars Lists
Anselmi & Carvelli LLP is proud to announce that five of the firm’s attorneys have […]